Have a Broken iLo?

I had an iLo that I couldn’t access today via its HTTP / HTTPS interface. You can simply SSH into it and use the reset or restart command (depending on version) to reboot the device. In my case, it came back up and it was accessible!

Rebooting ESXI Host in a Stuck State

Sadly had to use this one this morning… fire up SSH and run this command to force a reboot:

reboot -n -f

 

You’ll lose the SSH connection and the host will reboot

 

 

 

Enable Syncing of Ublock Whitelist and Settings

I’ve been a big fan and user of Ublock (and now uBlock Origin) for a while now, but hated having seperate whitelists on all my devices. I recently found out you can indeed sync those lists if you sync settings within your Chrome or Firefox browser!

Simply right-click on the uBlock icon and click on Options

And on the first page that pops up, you’ll see this option which you should check off:

On your various settings, rules, and whitelist pages you should now see these arrows:

Click the up arrow to upload your current list and then on your other devices, you can enable the setting and hit the down arrow to download that list. And you’re all set!

More info can be found on the github wiki

 

Sharepoint Error – User Not in Directory

Had an odd one today. An internal user with permissions to a Sharepoint site was getting the error “user not in directory”. Searching Google comes up with many different options and reasons for this error, but no concise cause / solution.

The user was able to login to Office365 webmail normally without any errors and was had a Sharepoint license for several weeks and hadn’t reset their password recently.

Eventually, I had the user un-invited and then re-invited and it worked!

Trouble With Running Microsoft eDiscovery Export Tool

I ran into this one yesterday. I was attempting to export a PST file with the findings of a compliance search within Office365. I couldn’t run it on my computer, nor the server where I was offloading the PST to. The error I got was simply “Make sure the export content hasn’t expired”.

Helpful. It obviously hadn’t expired.

Eventually I did the following: First, I started using Internet Explorer to do the export. Next, I found this Microsoft help doc that stated to add the following websites to the trusted or intranet zone in IE.

*.outlook.com, *.office365.com, *.sharepoint.com and *.onmicrosoft.com are added to the Local intranet zone trusted sites.

Voila! That did the job and my PST downloaded nicely.

MailboxImportRequest Fails

I ran into an issue with a Powershell script I wrote recently, where I received this error:

The name must be unique per mailbox. There isn’t a default name available for a new request owned by mailbox xyz

Basically, a record is kept for completed mailbox move requests, and if you do too many for one mailbox, you get the above error. Don’t worry! Just run the following command in PS to clear away the completed request records, and you’ll then be able to run the import request!

 

Get-MailboxImportRequest -Status Completed | Remove-MailboxImportRequest

That’s it!

VDP Upgrade Keeps Prompting To Take a Snapshot

In the course of upgrading a client’s Vmware Data Protection appliance today, I ran into an issue of it continuing to say “Create a snapshot first!”

Eventually I found that I had to re-test and re-enter the vcenter credentials into the appliance! After that, the upgrade could commence.

No Access to VDP Web Interface

I ran into an issue today that I was banging my head against until I found an obscure Vmware article.

Basically, when I tried to access my VDP appliance through the browser via port 8545, Chrome and IE would both say the connection was dropped or not accessible. “Failed to load” or “is not available” were the other errors.

This is the article I found:

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2111900

When Chrome/Firefox changed some settings regarding SSL certificates, it basically broke being able to access VDP devices that hadn’t been updated in a while. The above article has a Hotfix that you can install to fix the issue. It did for me!

Converting an Office365 Recipient Mailbox to a Shared Mailbox

Quick and easy tip today. A user left the company and to free up the license used on Office365 but keep the user’s mailbox, you can easily convert the mailbox to a shared mailbox, which you don’t get charged for on Office365.

Basically, go into Exchange Admin Center > Recipients > Choose the Mailbox you want to convert  and on the right side, click “Convert to Shared Mailbox”

 

That’s it!